DEODORANT – CHEMICAL OR NATURAL?
I confess, throughout my teens and my early 20´s I was always one for a Spray, then as I got older preferred to use a roll-on. In 2000 my Mum, bless her, was diagnosed with Breast Cancer, that scared me! It got me thinking as to what are we really putting on our skin. From that day, I vowed I would not use any kind of spray or roll on on my skin. I found using a Crystal (Alum Free) worked for a while, then it would make my skin sore. I stopped using anything and it worked to a degree. Now I live in Spain, I have been researching on what I could make using natural ingredients, I have found it!! A natural deodorant bar made with Shea Butter, Mango Butter, Beeswax, Clay, Bergamot, Lemon & Geranium Essential Oils. You can purchase this by visiting my shop on my website. http://vidanaturalskincare.com/shop/uncategorized/natural-deodorant-50ml/
We use deodorant to help us reduce body odour, whether it be a roll-on or spray, they are supposed to break down the bacteria formed and help prevent the glands from producing sweat. On using these type of products they will clog your skin follicles so it cannot breathe. Our underarms are sacred, why put ingredients onto them that are potentially harmful? Here are just a few that you will find in your everyday roll-on or spray.
- Parabens (methyl, ethyl, propyl, benzyl & butyl):- Many everyday cosmetics have these added. They are chemical preservatives that are used to help prevent bacterial growth and prolong the shelf life. They have been known to disturb the body´s hormone imbalance and can mimic estrogen.
- Aluminium Compunds:- These compounds act like a plug within the sweat ducts. This temporarily stops the flow of sweat. Again, these can be absorbed into the skin.
- Triclasan:- Classed as a pesticide, this can irritate the skin and may cause the skin to dry out.
- Talc:- It contains asbestiform fibres which is considered as a carcinogen.
- Silica:- A natural mineral used in deodorants, it will absorb any oil residue left of the skin. Can cause irritation to the skin.
- Fragrances:- These are added to help mask body odour and give you that fresh feeling.
My handmade deodorant bar will help to keep your under arms smooth, fresh and dry throughout the day. Here is a list of the ingredients and how they can benefit your skin:-
- Mango Butter:- From the Mango tropical evergreen tree, the butter is extracted from the shelled fruit kernel. Highly softening, soothing and an emollient to the skin. Mango Butter will help to treat skin rashes, insect bites and eczema. Mango Butter is normally mixed with other butter ingredients, an even greater benefit to your skin.
- Shea Butter:- From Africa, the tree produces a nut which is extremely moisturising to the skin and can protect it from drying out. It is extremely rich in fatty acids and locks in moisture. Also contains Vit E, A, D and F. Shea Butter will help to treat insect bites, nappy rash, eczema and psoriasis. People with severe nut allergies, Shea Butter is NOT recommended.
- Beeswax:- Will help to keep the bar solid and moisturise your skin.
- Kaolin Clay:- Traditionally used for caring, nourishing and soothing the skin, in a deodorant it will help to keep your underarms dry and eliminate body odour.
- Bergamot Essential Oil:- With it´s refreshing aroma, it can help to stop bacteria and germs forming under the arms which causes body odour.
- Geranium Essential Oil:- Sweet floral notes, it has antibacterial properties within this oil to help eliminate odours, along with the balancing of hormones.
- Lemon Essential Oil:- It will help to cleanse, nourish and purify your skin.
Next time you go to use your deodorant, perhaps you will think about what you are putting onto your skin.
THINK!! Chemical or Natural
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, any comments or feedback gratefully received. Please do not hesitate to contact me.
If you are thinking of changing your skin routine, then visit our shop to find out more.
YOUR skin is PRECIOUS, take CARE of IT!